Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Tender Grilled Salmon

Every year my father in law goes fishing in Alaska. If we pay the shipping he'll send us all the fish we want! So for most of the year we have a freezer full of fish (mostly salmon and halibut). We didn't grow up eating fish (unless frozen fish sticks/fillets count!) so I've had to do a lot of experimenting. I'll be posting a few of our favorite salmon/halibut recipes since I think I'm the only one of us sisters that has ever allowed fish to enter my kitchen. Ok maybe Steph? :) I prefer halibut over salmon; salmon has a slightly more fishy taste. But neither of them taste strongly like fish I don't think. So try it sisters!! Salmon has a ton of Vitamin D so it's especially good to eat in the winter when you're not getting your 20 minutes of sun each day. Isn't it cool that there's a ton of salmon in Alaska, where people really need the extra Vitamin D!?! God planned that one pretty well.


TENDER GRILLED (or baked) SALMON
1 1/2 pounds salmon fillets
lemon pepper to taste
garlic powder to taste
salt to taste
1/3 c. soy sauce
1/3 c. brown sugar
1/3 c. water
1/4 c. vegetable oil

Rinse salmon fillets then pat dry with a paper towel. Season with lemon pepper, garlic powder, and salt.

In a small bowl, stir together soy sauce, brown sugar, water, and vegetable oil until sugar is dissolved. Place fish in a large resealable plastic bag with the soy sauce mixture, seal, and turn to coat. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

Preheat grill for medium heat.

Lightly oil grill grate. Place salmon on the preheated grill, and discard marinade. Cook salmon for 6 to 8 minutes per side, or until the fish flakes easily with a fork.

If you don't have a grill you can bake it like I do! I'm sure it's SO much better grilled though. Cover pan with foil (optional but makes clean up so much easier! Learned that trick from Steph and Linds). Bake at 350F for 10 to 15 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork (may be longer if your fillets are pretty thick in the middle). Then broil for 5 minutes to crisp the top.

That white stuff is the salmon fat and is supposedly really good for you. From what I've heard salmon at the store is pricy, but if you LIVE in Alaska (ah hum Lindsay) or you know someone who loves to fish like I do then it won't be!

1 comment:

  1. Maybe I'll have to try this for Tyler one time. If I'm feeling like a really good and nice wife... because you were completely right- I've never let fish in my kitchen yet!

    ReplyDelete