Tuesday, April 17, 2012

GRANOLA

I got this recipe at a ward recipe exchange. Lately it's a favorite snack of mine and I'll tell you why. Lately I feel like I'm constantly eating and yet since giving birth 6 1/2 weeks ago I think there's only been one time that I wasn't hungry and it lasted all of about 20 minutes! I guess that's what happens when you're nursing every two hours on the dot! This granola is filling, somewhat healthy, and SO good.

Lynette's Granola

3 1/2 c. oats
1 1/2 c. coconut
1/2 c. wheat germ
1 1/4 c. nuts (slivered almonds preferred)
Mix together in large bowl.
In separate bowl mix:
1 tsp. salt
1/2 c. oil
2 tsp. vanilla
1 can sweetened condensed milk
Mix and pour over oats mixture.
Bake at 325F for 10 min. Flip and cook til all brown (about 20 min. for me).
Scrape off pan immediately into bowl and add 1 c. craisins.

I'm sure this would be great with other typical granola ingredients (sunflower seeds, etc) but I haven't experimented yet. It's great by itself or with milk or yogurt.
Although the nuts are kinda pricy, this is still way cheaper than buying granola or than buying other cereals/snacks. Especially if you buy the oats in a 50 lb. bag like I do. And of course the sweet milk isn't the healthiest but I figure I'm still getting lots of good protein and fiber from the other ingredients. Just a warning, this may not be the last granola recipe I post. Enjoy!!

Picture to come later...

No comments:

Post a Comment