Friday, April 27, 2012

Magically Delicious Potato Soup

Since I missed my day to post due to being out of town, I'm making up for it today with a little extra Friday post.

Picture from Mel's Kitchen Cafe, one of my favorite food blogs

A couple years ago, our whole family together - it was probably Christmas. I was in charge of cooking one of the dinners, and I made a recipe I loved from a cookbook called Essential Mormon Celebrations: Secret Combinations for Holidays, Homecomings, Potluck Dinners, and More. It was called Creamy Potato Soup, and the description under the title said, "This savory soup warms the winter night."

Little did the cookbook authors know how much it warmed the winter night. In fact, it warmed everyone's winter LIFE. Everyone LOVED this soup. That was probably 4 years ago, but I still get phone calls every couple months from one sister or another asking for the recipe. It was so delicious, nobody has ever forgotten it. My only regret is that it's not vegan so I can't eat it anymore. But don't worry, I am planning a veganization of Creamy Potato Soup and then it will be the soup that takes over the world. Or something.

I know it's summer and most people are out of soup season, but when my phone rang at 6:15 this morning with another request for the recipe, I knew today would be the day I would share it with the world. Enjoy!

Magically Delicious Potato Soup

adapted from Essential Mormon Celebrations' Creamy Potato Soup

12 medium potatoes (I use russet, but whatever kind is fine)
1 c. chopped onion
1/4 c. butter or margarine
2 c. cream (THAT'S why everyone loves this soup!!)
3 c. milk
1 Tbsp. salt
grated cheddar cheese
sliced green onions (lots!)
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Peel and quarter potatoes and place in large pot. Fill pot with cold water just to cover potatoes. Put on lid; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 30 minutes or until tender.

Place chopped onions and butter/margarine in microwave-safe glass bowl and heat on high power for 2 minutes. (This is a lazy-man's saute - if you would rather, just do the normal thing and saute the chopped onions in melted butter on the stovetop until soft and transluscent. But the microwave method, surprisingly, does work just fine.) Set aside.

Remove potatoes from heat and drain. Add cream; stir together. Mash potatoes until mixture is smooth. I, like Linds, have been known to pull out my hand mixer to whip those babies lump-free, and it's a good idea with this soup.

Stir in milk, salt, and onion-butter mixture. Return pot to stove and simmer over low heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Watch carefully to avoid scorching on the bottom. Turn down heat if necessary. Salt and pepper to taste. (You'll definitely need at least a little salt - start with about a tsp. I do a few cracks of fresh-ground pepper.)

Pass cheese and green onions for topping individual servings. *

*We also served crispy crumbled bacon pieces on the soup, but I can't bring myself to actually put bacon in the recipe since am wholeheartedly anti-bacon. If you must, top individual bowls with bacon, but feel very very guilty about it.

3 comments:

  1. It was Thanksgiving, actually. And I remember what I was wearing as I ate. THAT's how good the soup is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it was Thanksgiving in Midway. One of Caleb's first meals with my family. I think it helped win him over for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. *our family. That sounded weird.

    ReplyDelete