Thursday, May 3, 2012

Snickerdoodles (chewy ones!)

I guess Steph and I broke down and made a treat in the same week. But I'm sure you won't mind once you taste these snickerdoodles! They are delicious. I've always been a fan of snickerdoodles, but I'm not a fan of crunchy cookies. I believe that cookies should be chewy! So when I found this recipe on allrecipes.com, I was skeptical. After much experimentation, I've learned that this is a recipe that must be followed down to the minute. Don't overbake these cookies, no matter what! Anything over 10 minutes is a crispy cookie sentence, and that's just unacceptable.

Chewy Snickerdoodles


Ingredients:

1 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. cream of tartar
1/2 tsp. salt

2 Tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon

Directions:

Cream together the shortening and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, mixing after each one. Stir dry ingredients into the creamed mixture until well-mixed.

Combine cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl. Roll the cookie dough into walnut-sized balls and then roll in the cinnamon and sugar mixture. Place on a greased cookie sheet a few inches apart.

Bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes (Remember, DON'T OVERBAKE).


Another reason I love this recipe is the way this dough freezes! I like to make one pan of these and then freeze the rest. Just roll the dough like you normally would, but pop those babies in a Ziploc bag and freeze 'em! When you have a cookie emergency and need more, just let them thaw while the oven preheats and then bake normally.

No comments:

Post a Comment