Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Sweet Potato Tacos

I am so excited to share this meal with you. It got a huge thumbs up from my husband, it's very healthy, it's SUPER fast to prepare, and the best part...NO dishes!! Trust me, this will be added to your regular menu rotation each month. Not only that, but I think it'd make a great meal for over a campfire or grill, since we're coming up on the summer.

Ingredients:
sweet potatoes - cut into 1/2 inch cubes
black beans - drained and rinsed
kidney beans* - drained and rinsed
fresh spinach
butter
toppings: sour cream and cheese

*I substituted kidney beans, where the original recipe calls for cooked hamburger meat, mixed with taco seasoning and tomato sauce. We only eat meat about once a week, and even that's only because we're still cleaning out our freezer of meat. I thought it might be missing some flavor without the taco meat, but it's delicious! I didn't miss it at all! But that is an option.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. On sectioned pieces of aluminum foil, start piling on the goodness! I start with sweet potatoes on the bottom, then about 1 tbsp. of butter. Salt if desired. Add your kidney beans, black beans and spinach. A word about the spinach... when I was putting the spinach on, it looked like it was taking up a lot of room. Once it's all cooked together, the spinach wilts and left both me and my husbadn wishing there was a little bit more spinach there. Also, I realize that in the picture below you see cheese on there. But let me tell you from experience, leave off the cheese for now! I found that it just stuck to the aluminum foil and so it was pretty much a waste of cheese. Wrap the foil up, leaving some breathing room in there. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the potatoes are soft. Put all the yummy filling in a tortilla (here's when you can add the sour cream and cheese if you want it), and enjoy!


Adapted from Three Many Cooks

2 comments:

  1. Yum!! I've always been a little afraid of sweet potatoes, but this looks alittle less intimidating! I'll have to try it. Do they need to be baked first?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, no baking first. Don't be scared, it's so good!

    ReplyDelete